- Consist of requesting someone’s presence, stating the specific event, and setting the time and place.
- Thank the inviter for the invitation or express pleasure at being invited and get details of place and time.
- If an invitation must be refused, give reason.
THE PHRASES OF INVITING SOMEONE
|MAKING AN INVITATION||ACCEPTING||REFUSING|
The following expressions are non-invitation. Be careful of these:
- “You’ll have to come over sometimes.”
- “We’ll have to get together again soon.”
- “If you’ve ever in Houston, look me up.”
- “If you’ve ever in Pittsburg, give me a call.”
- “If you’ve ever in the area, come and visit.”
Choose the correct answer for the following questions.
- ‘Can you come to my birthday part this Saturday?’
‘ …. I will have to work overtime.’
(A) of course
(B) I’d like to
(C) Sorry, I can’t
(D) I’m afraid so
(E) I might not
- ‘Do you feel like gong to a movie this evening?’
‘That’s sound great, John. I haven’t been to a movie for a long time.’
The underlined sentence expresses …
- ‘We are wondering if you’d like to come over to see the video of our performance.’
‘……… . But I’m studying. I have a test tomorrow.
(A) No way
(B) I’m sorry to hear that
(C) I don’t think so
(D) You must be kidding
(E) I’d love to.
- ‘Will you join our trip to the beach next Sunday?’ ‘ … I love sun bathing there.’
(B) I’m sorry
(C) Don’t mention it.
(D) That’s too bad
- ‘What about traveling to Bali next holiday?’
‘ ……’ it will be great.
(A) you must be kidding
(B) that’s too bad
(C) How pity you are
(D) I don’t think so
(E) That’s a good idea
- ‘How about having a meeting on Saturday night?’ …………. I have another appointment.’
(A) I think so
(B) Good idea
(C) I’m sorry
(D) I’d love to
- ‘Would you come and see a music concert with me?’ ‘ ……………..’ I have to accompany my mother. She got stomachache.
(A) I’d love to
(B) I’m afraid I can’t
(C) That’s too bad
(D) I think so
(E) No way
Now, imagine you want to hold an event. Invite your friends to come to your event. Your friends may refuse or accept.
1) You will celebrate your 17th birthday on Saturday 19 October 2008. Ask your friends to have dinner at Pizza Hut at 7 pm but they have to come alone without partner. How many of your classmates will come?
2) You will have your birthday party on Saturday 18 October 2008 at home. Ask your friends to come to your house at 7 pm. You will provide barbeque party. Tell your friends they may come with their partner. How many of your friends will come to your party?
3) You will enjoy a nice holiday at the beach on Sunday 19 October 2008. Ask your friends to join you. Your parents will provide all you need for celebrating your new high school. They have to come to your house at 8 am and come home at 8 pm. They may choose to go by car or their own motorcycle. How many friends will join your holiday?
4) Your parents will go to Mecca next month. Your family will have lunch and invite your neighbours, your relatives, your parents’ colleagues and your friends. It will be held on Sunday 18 October 2008 at 10 am till 2 pm. Invite your friends to come to your house. How many of your friends can come?
5) You will move to USA because your father becomes an ambassador there. You will leave on the beginning of December 2008. You will hold a farewell party on Saturday night in a café. Invite your friends to come on 18 October 2008 at 8 pm.
6) You are one of the awardees of AFS scholarship for a year in Belgium. You will celebrate it with your friends in a restaurant. Ask your friends to come on Sunday 19 October 2008 at 1 pm. How many of your friends will come?
7) You are one of the awardees of AFS scholarship for a year in Belgium. You will celebrate it with your friends in a restaurant. Ask your friends to come on Sunday 19 October 2008 at 1 pm. How many of your friends will come?
8) To celebrate your good mark for your test, you invite your friends to watch a newest movie at the famous theatre in town. You will ask your friend to join you on Sunday, 19 October 2008 at 3 pm. They will be free of charge. How many of your friends will join you watching movie?
9) Your father opens a new game online centre as his business. It will be opened next week. Ask your friend to come to the grand opening on Sunday, 19 October 2008 at 10 am in the new game centre. They may play a game and free of charge for 2 hours. How many of your friends will come to your father’s game centre?
10) There will be a music concert on Saturday 18 October 2008 at 7 pm till 12 pm. The concert will present the teenager’s favourite band. Ask your friends to see the show in the sport hall. The ticket is Rp. 5,000. You will pay for your friends’ tickets. How many of your friends will see the show with you?