Here are the phrases and expressions that are commonly used in class routines:
- Good morning/afternoon.
- Good morning, class/everybody.
- Hello everyone.
- How are you?
- How are you getting on?
- How’s life?
- How are you feeling today, …?
- Are you feeling better today, …?
- I hope you are all feeling fit today.
- I hope you have all had a nice holiday.
- My name is Mr./Mrs./Miss …
- I am your new teacher, …
- I’ll be teaching ….this year.
- I’m a teacher trainee and I’ll be teaching you … and …
- I’ve got two lessons with you.
- Let’s start our …lesson now.
- Is everybody ready to start?
- I’m waiting for you to be quiet.
- Stop talking now so that we can start.
D. CHECKING ATTENDANCE
- Let’s see if you are all here.
- Let’s call the roll.
- Let’s take the register.
- Remember to answer “I’m here”
- I’m going to check the register.
- Is everybody here?
- Is anyone here?
- Who is absent today?
- Who isn’t here today?
- What’s the matter with … today?
- Who is missing?
E. DEALING WITH LATENESS
- Why are you late?
- We started … minutes ago. What have you been doing?
- Did you …?
- Please hurry up and sit down. We’ve already started.
- That’s the second time this week.
- Let this be the last time.
- Don’t let it happen again.
- Try to be here on time next time.
- I’ll have to report you if you are late again.
F. TAKING A BREAK
- Let’s have a break.
- It’s time to have a break.
- Let’s stop here for a while
- We’ll stop doing this here
- We will start again in 15 minutes.
- I’m afraid we’ll have to stop here.
G. STOPPING AND ENDING LESSON
- There are still to minutes to go.
- We have an extra five minutes.
- It’s almost time to stop.
- We’ll have to stop here/now.
- I’m afraid it’s time to finish now.
- I don’t think we’ve got time to finish this now.
- We’ll continue working on this chapter next time.
- We’ll do/read/look at the rest of this on …
- Carry on with the exercise for the rest of the time.
- Stay where you are for a moment.
- Just hold n a minute.
- Don’t go rushing off. I have something to say/tell you.
- That’s all for now/today,
- We have no time for anything else.
H. ASSIGNING HOMEWORK
- Prepare the …. on Friday.
- Finish off the exercise at home.
- Do the rest of the exercise as your homework.
- Complete this exercise at home.
- This chapter/exercise is your homework.
- Remember the homework.
- This is the homework for next time.
- Bye now, …
- See you again on Wednesday.
- I’ll see you on Monday.
- Enjoy your holiday.
- I won’t be here next time …will be with you.
- I’ll leave him your work to give you.
- Have a nice weekend.
- Tomorrow we’ll meet in …
Blundell, John. 1982. Function in English. Oxford: Oxford University Press
Hughes, Glyn S. 1990. A Handbook of Classroom English. Oxford: Oxford University
Slattery, M. 2001. English for Primary Teachers: A Handhook of Activities and Classroom Language. Oxford: Oxford University Press