Uncountable nouns are things we can’t count. They have no plural.
For example: gold, music, blood, excitements
Before uncountable noun, you can use the/some/any/much/this, etc. You can’t use a/an before an uncountable noun
For example: the music; some gold; much excitement
Countable nouns are things we can count. We can make them plural. For example: dog, umbrella, two jobs, six girls, many suggestion, etc
Before singular countable nouns you can use a/an
- That’s a good suggestion
- Do you need an umbrella?
You can’t use singular countable noun alone
- I’m looking for a job. (not I’m looking for job.)
We can use some with plural countable nouns. (some = a number of/a few of) but we don’t know exactly how many.
- I’ve seen some good films recently.
- Some friends of mine are coming to stay at the weekend.
Which of the underlined parts of these sentences is right?
1) Margaret has got very long black hair/hairs.
2) Bad news don’t/doesn’t make people happy.
3) Sorry I’m late. I had trouble/troubles with the car this morning.
4) I had bought a/some bread because I wanted to make sandwiches.
5) It’s very difficult to find a work/job at the moment.
Choose the correct answer for the following questions.
1) Would you like to be … actor?
(A) a (B) an (C) the (D) some (E) any
2) Tom always gives Ann … flowers on her birthday.
(A) a (B) an (C) some (D) any (E) the
3) When we reached the city centre … shops were still open but most of them were already closed.
(A) an (B) the (C) none (D) a (E) some
4) What … beautiful garden.
(A) some (B) a (C) an (D) the (E) none
5) You need … visa to visit …foreign countries, but not all of them.
(A) a – the (B) an – the (C) a – some (D) an- some (E) the- some
6) Have you got …camera?
(A) the (B) some (C) a (D) an (E) much
7) … child run across … street.
(A) a – the (B) a – an (C) an – the (D) the- some (E) some- a
8) You must give him … food and … cup of coffee.
(A) some – an (B) an- the (C) some-a (D) a – the (E) a – the
9) … student at … back of … class is reading … newspaper.
(A) a-the-a (B) some-the-a (C) the-the-a (D) a-the-the (E) some-the-a
10) …postman has just put … letter under … door.
(A) a-the-the (B) an-the-a (C) the-a-the (D) a-some-the (E) the-the-the