..while I breathe, I hope…
- Read the text through trying to understanding the general meaning.
- Look at each missing word gap and try to imagine the correct should be.
- Decide which part of speech (adjective, noun, gerund, etc.) needs to be used to fill each gap.
- Read the text again, trying to fill gap as you come to it by imagining what the correct answer should be.
- Read the text another time, this time choose the correct answer from the four (sometimes three) answers given.
- If you are unsure of any given answer, try reading the sentence with each of the four possibilities.
- Try to eliminate two of the obvious false answers (usually two relatively false answers are given) When stuck between two answers, go with the one that sounds right.
- Do not stop to answer questions on your first reading.
- Always think about the overall meaning of the text (i.e., whether the text is negative, positive, etc.) to make sure that your answer choice fits the context.
- Trust your intuition. If you feel a word is right instinctively, it probably is correct.