Interaction between students and teacher during lessons will support the teaching learning process. Therefore, not only teachers deliver the topic, assign the students, check students’ work, etc but students can help by showing positive attitude towards learning. Asking question, requesting further explanation, asking for assistance are the examples. Below are some expressions students might utter in class;
A. ASKING TO REPEAT
- I’m sorry, I didn’t understand
- Yu are speaking too quickly
- I didn’t get that down. Could you say it again?
- Could you repeat the last bit?
- I missed the beginning of what you said.
- Could you explain again, please?
- I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do.
- Do you mean that we should …?
- When you said … did you mean that we should …?
- Could you repeat the instructions please?
- Shall we do the exercises in our workbooks?
- Are we supposed to finish this off at home?
- What shall we do when we’ve finished?
- What do we have to do next?
C. CHECKING ANSWERS
- What was the answer to number …?
- Could you read out the answer to number … again?
- Was the answer to number 2 a or b?
Confirming Right and Wrong
- Can I say …?
- Is this a mistake?
- What’s wrong with …?
- Isn’t there a mistake in number 3?
- I think you’ve made a mistake on the board.
- Why can’t I …?
D. CHECKING COMPREHENSION
- Have you got it?
- Do you understand?
- Do you see what I mean?
- Are you following me so far?
- How does that sound to you?
- Is there anything you don’t understand?
- Can you explain it?
- Is anyone having trouble?
- I’m sorry, I can’t hear you.
- Do you think we’ve got it now?
- Does this make sense to you?
- Is everything clear?
- Does everyone know what to do?
- Do you want me to explain it again?
- Everybody can try, but one at a time.
- More loudly. Speak loudly. Speak up
- I’m sorry I’m late
- I’m sorry. I don’t know.
- I’m afraid, I’ve left my book at home.
- Could I left ten minutes early?
- Could I have another copy?
- Have you got an extra sheet?
- May I go to the toilet/lavatory?
Offers of Helps
- Shall I turn the lights out?
- Shall I draw the curtains?
- Do you want a hand with the table?
- Can I help?